I am all over quick, easy and tasty dinners. And this overnight ragù is an absolute winner.
You throw all the ingredients in the casserole, no pre-cooking required, and cook it on low in the oven overnight.
The result is a rich and tasty ragù which is perfect on these cold nights.
I cooked this dish for the first time last week and was a big hit in our house, so I urge you to give it a go…
800g braising/stewing steak (cut into small chunks)
1 onion (diced)
3 carrots (diced)
4 sticks celery (chopped)
2 glasses red wine
2 tins chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp redcurrant jelly or cranberry sauce
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tbsp tomato purée
2 tsp mixed herbs
1 beef stock cube (dissolved in 100ml water)
2 dried bay leaves
1. Set the oven to 120c.
2. Combine all the ingredients in a casserole dish. Give in a good stir and cover with a tight lid.
3. Cook overnight in the oven for 9hrs.
4. In the morning, check the seasoning and add salt and pepper as required. Leave on the side during the day (the flavours will really intensify).
5. Reheat that evening, ensuring the ragù is fully heated (to boiling point) throughout. If chunks of meat still remain, pull them apart with a fork.
6. Serve with pasta (tagliatelle or orzo) and a good shaving of Parmesan cheese.
What could be easier?
If you give this recipe a go, I’d love to know what you think. My son says it’s his 2nd favourite dinner, (after Carbonara!!!) It’s still such an achievement when the kids give my dinners a big thumbs up! ☺
I am always on the look out for quick dinners to add to my repertoire, so if you have any to share then please leave a comment below.
A fab source of family-friendly dishes is the Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy blog – I thoroughly recommend Clare’s easy-to-follow recipes. Click here to check it out.
Thanks for reading!