This is a super easy supper to prepare – one that suits the hectic, mid-week schedule as it can sit on the side and be served as and when family members are ready to eat. I particularly love this Creamy Spinach Pasta dish because it gets tons of greens into my kids (and they don’t complain!!!)
I developed this dish from Annabel Karmel’s Popeye Pasta recipe which I used to serve to my two when they were toddlers. As their taste buds have developed, so has the recipe. I now add garlic and chilli and either chorizo or pancetta cubes. I have also, in the past, combined both spinach and kale for this recipe – which came out well. You could also add pine nuts – I would, but my kids would protest!!
You can use any type of pasta – whatever you have in your cupboard and whichever is your family’s favourite! I use wholewheat pasta which has been our pasta of choice for many years now. When I prepared the dish for this post, I used wholewheat tagiatelle which I buy at Sainsbury’s.
Creamy Spinach Pasta is one of my go-to, store-cupboard, mid-week meals. Everyone in my family loves it. It also works well as a side-dish for pork steaks or salmon.
Ingredients (serves 4)
1 bag baby spinach leaves
2 tbsp crème fraîche
2 tbsp cream cheese
2 garlic gloves (grated)
1 tsp Very Lazy Red Chillies
Large handful of grated parmesan cheese
Optional: pancetta cubes / chorizo cubes
1) Wilt the spinach in the microwave or saucepan with a little water
2) Blitz the spinach (incl. the cooking water) in a food processor
3) Cook the pasta according to instructions
4) In a saucepan, gently heat the pancetta or chorizo cubes to release the oils, then add the garlic, chillies, crème fraîche and cream cheese
5) Add the blitzed spinach to the creamy sauce mixture and gently heat
6) Season with salt & pepper to taste
7) If neccessary, add a tbsp of water (or 2) from the pasta to loosen the sauce if required
8) Combine the cooked pasta with the creamy spinach sauce and stir-in the parmesan cheese
Serve with a side-salad or grilled meat or fish… or on it’s own!
If you have a go at making this Creamy Spinach Pasta dish – I’d love to know your verdict!
Please leave a comment below…